If you have spent years waking up to wood-paneled walls and shag rugs, some home improvements, especially if you are intent on selling your Orangeville house, may be in order. In today’s competitive Orangeville real estate market, renovations, or even a home makeover, offer a relatively affordable means to boost the value of your Orangeville home.
Before picking up a sledgehammer, however, it is worthwhile to know the cost of updating your decades-old decor, and the degree to which those costs will be recouped when it comes time to sell.
While some home improvements such as updating a kitchen or bathroom may require a trained professional, there are a number of do-it-yourself projects that are likely to increase an Orangeville home’s resale value. Simpler tasks such as painting walls, changing cupboard knobs or laying new flooring will make an Orangeville house not only more appealing to buyers, but also offer a great return on investment.
From simple aesthetics to washroom overhauls, Royal LePage has identified the top renovations that will increase the equity of your Orangeville home. This list is ranked in ascending order of cost of project.
1. Add a new coat of paint can freshen up your Orangeville house and make the interior look like new, not to mention more spacious. For homeowners looking to sell quickly, neutral colours are recommended.
2. Today, hard surfaces are all the rage. If genuine hardwood exceeds budgets, laminate works well. Orangeville Buyers like to see hard floors throughout, so if possible, be sure to lay down laminate in dining rooms and living rooms, and even in bathrooms and bedrooms. While a range of hardwood qualities, textures and colours exists, it’s best to opt for a neutral wood colour to accommodate the widest possible array of tastes and decor.
3. Old or standard-grade light fixtures, electrical and light cover plates can easily date an Orangeville house. To modernize and add distinct flair to the interior, consider installing new light fixtures. Remember to go green and use compact fluorescent light bulbs, where possible.
4. The old adage, “you never get a second chance to make a first impression” is extremely true when it comes to selling your Orangeville home. To increase curb appeal and entice buyers, ensure front lawns are tidy and gardening is minimal. While there is no need to go overboard and plant an expensive Japanese maple tree, adding some standard shrubs and flowers will make a home more inviting.
5. Similar to the issue with old light fixtures, knobs, fume hoods and back splashes can make a kitchen seem outdated. Sleek, stainless steel hardware designs have the biggest and most positive impact on people looking to buy an Orangeville home.
6. Building a fence and a deck instantly boosts an Orangeville home’s appeal. Keeping kids and pets in the yard and nosy neighbours out, fences provide the back and side yards with a sense of privacy.
7. A bathroom situated on the main floor is increasingly seen by Orangeville home-buyers as an essential fixture in their next purchase. While many older houses were built with bathrooms only on the second floor, many Orangeville homeowners are resorting to transforming closets or adding new rooms to accommodate two-piece powder rooms.
8. Today’s Orangeville home-buyer prefers bathrooms that have spa-style tubs and modern faucets. Granite and marble tiles are now readily available and can be purchased at relatively affordable prices.
9. While prices can vary when renovating a kitchen, one thing is certain: kitchen makeovers bring one of the highest returns on investment. With Orangeville homeowners spending more time in the kitchen than any other room, it’s no surprise they want the best possible style and functionality. Stainless steel appliances, ceramic sinks and clean lines on cupboards rank as the more preferred finish options. Since kitchens and baths can be such a personal space, it’s wise not to select a dramatic style or colour scheme, since your tastes may not be the same as the next owner’s.
As an expert on home sale trends in your Orangeville Ontario and as local Royal LePage Real Estate Agents we can advise you whether or not renovations will add value to your home and make it more sell-able.